Description - Research Activities
The Linguistics Laboratory at UoC (LingLab at UoC) was founded in 1998 and it is staffed by the faculty members and the doctoral students of the Linguistics Division and by technical staff members. The LingLab aims
- To support the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, the research needs in the fields of theoretical, experimental and applied Linguistics, as well as the teaching of Greek as first / foreign language,
- to promote the implementation of technology for carrying out and developing research on issues that fall within the broader field of linguistics,
- to develop and support research programs,
- to organize seminars, conferences, lectures/talks,
- to organize summer schools in: (a) Linguistics, (b) learning Greek as a foreign language,
- to promote every type of cooperation with universities and research institutions in Greece and abroad on various issues related to linguistics.
The LingLab is equipped with modern resources such as: a soundproof (anechoic) booth for high quality recording of language data, as well as for perception experiments, advanced hardware for phonetic analysis (aerometer and nasalmeter), software for digital processing, recording and speech analysis, 5 portable digital recorders and 5 hypercardioid condenser microphones for fieldwork and spoken data collection.
The LingLab is located at the University Campus of Rethymo at two different sites: (a) at the building complex that houses the Department of Philology, (b) at the building complex of the University of Crete Research Center for the Humanities, the Social and Education Sciences (UCRC).